Blackheads. papules, pustules – there are many different types of acne, and your acne treatment will depend on the severity of your acne and your own medical situation. Learn more about the causes of Acne.
In general there are two ways to treat Acne – from the outside (topical) or the inside (oral). These methods may be used separately or in some cases together, depending on your needs.
1. Creams/Gels: Creams and gels can be used on the effected area(s) to help skin regenerate, help fight off bacteria that causes acne or help break down the organic matter (keratin) that hardens under the skin.
• Acids such as Salicylic Acid are used to help exfoliate and regenerate the skin.
• Topical Antibiotics such as Clindamycin or Dalacin help fight bacteria that can cause acne.
• Topical retinoids such as Differin contain one or a group of medicines derived from Vitamin A. They help break down the organic matter (keratin) that hardens under the skin.
2. Oral Medications: Oral isotretinoin medications such as Accutane work to decrease the amount of facial oil (sebum) produced.
For women, antiandrogens such as birth control may also be used to decrease the amount of testosterone in your body.