Dr. Kirk Barber is a Calgary dermatologist who has been in clinical practice for over 30 years. There are very few skin diseases he has not seen and every day he is interested and excited by the patients who seek his help.
“I truly enjoy my work and I look forward to each day and it’s challenges,” says Dr. Barber. “I try to get to know each person who comes through my door so I can better treat each person as an individual. I’m about treating the person with the skin condition, not just the skin condition.”
- Clinical Professor in the Faculties of Medicine (Dermatology) and Community Health Sciences at the University of Calgary. Dr. Barber serves as member of many national medical advisory boards related to his specialty. He has presented professional papers to both national and international medical audiences.
- Principal Investigator in over 100 clinical research trials. His major area of interest is the drug therapy of psoriasis and eczema.
- Editor in Chief of the Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery, the official publication of the Canadian Dermatology Association and the Canadian Society for Dermatologic Surgery.
- Past-president of the Canadian Dermatology Association (CDA) and the Alberta Society of Dermatology.
- CDA President’s Cup Award for contributions to the CDA – the only two time recipient (1997, 2011)
Dr. Barber was the youth hockey coordinator for his community and an elected member of the board of directors for the Minor Hockey Association of Calgary. He implemented a program to control parental behaviour at the rink. This program was adopted provincially and was the basis for a national program.